Sunday, November 6, 2011

RIA'S ROUNDUP: OCT 2011

At some point there we slipped into fall, a distinct break from the hectic, unrelenting heat of summer. The intensity of EDC, everything we discovered about ourselves, our city, the dreams we chased. It was my first summer working full time as a flight attendant. I think I can speak for most of us here back home that we found amazing new connections and opportunities the last months/year and it's been full speed ahead since then.

With the cool October air and slow decay into a winter full of more exciting unknowns I found myself delving into music that went further, deeper, higher than the pounding tweaked out bass and distorted electro, house, and glitch-step of the summer. Party anthems all grown up; the memories we’ll never forget, the people we’ve grown to love, everything we’ve learned, everything that comes next. Fall into it, sit back, enjoy.

1. Dreamy. I love these types of cross-genre covers and mixes. Niel Young forever.

Poolside - Harvest Moon (Poolside Cover)

2. Electronica with a dubby kick snare/r/b type feel. UK

Ambassadeurs - M.O.P.E.

3. The warm-up bright, kicky, little more on the electro side. UK

David's Lyre - In Arms (Bombay Bicycle Club Remix)

4. 2009 I spent October in Europe: Paris, Lille, and Amsterdam, the ethereal float of SayCet is very much something French. It has the curious wonder of wandering a cemetery amidst the crunch of leaves, thousands of forgotten tombs, pitch black ravens and ancient cobblestones. It’s sitting on the banks of Le Sene across from the Louvre smoking a lucky strike and watching the sun set.

Pony Pony Run Run - Hey You (SayCet Remix)

5. KOMPAKT Total 12 is out. Pure magic, as usual. This track is no exception. Bringing it into a very downtempo house/warming into disco. You really do need the full 320 on this, so delicious.

Kolombo - Waiting For

6. Scott Hansen, creative drive behind Tycho and curator of the equally striking ISO50 blog, has finally dropped the long-awaited “Dive”. Hansen’s taste in graphic design, photography, and ambient and experimental elctronica is airtight, It’s no wonder the album was so patiently released, it’s evident on every track Hansen’s pursuit of a very specific sound and feel. This is driving music; coast, desert, canyons, forest, whatever you’ve got…get spacious.

Tycho - Hours

7.Goes without saying the new Little Dragon single has to be included here. It’s exactly what everyone has loved so far and more. Spot on single and high hopes for the new album.

Little Dragon - Ritual Union

8. Now the new Phantogram single, “Don’t Move” is taking them in a bit of a new direction, which couldn’t be more appropriate. The production quality on this track is phenomenal, you can’t help but creep a smile listening to this one. Grab someone’s hand, run down the hallway, spin. Repeat.

Phantogram - Don't Move

9. October was a month of one stunning release after another. Gearing up for the new album “Ceremonials”, Florence and the Machine drop “Shake it Out”. Powerful, precise, big. “It’s hard to dance/with a devil on your back/so shake him off.” The video for the new single too is full of the same decadent, mysterious whimsical overtones that sold us all in the first place. “Eyes wide Shut” meets “Alice in Wonderland”

Florence and the Machine - Shake it Out

This month’s double feature winner is The Weekend, and rightfully so. Their mix of “Shake it out” is so good, I’m not even going to put Benny Benassi’s straightforward house take up.

Florence and the Machine - Shake It Out (The Weeknd Remix)

10. Now that you’ve exorcized all your demons with Florence, let Sia and Plastic Plates lure you to the dance floor. More evidence of Ria’s penchant for melodic female vocals (Maybe I’m biased) We’ve got some smooth disco to get things warmed up when the temperature drops outside.

Sia - Cloud (Plastic Plates Remix)

I’m breaking the :”Adele Remix rule” to share this: It’s justified, I think.

Adele - Set Fire to the Rain (Plastic Plates Remix)

11. This has pretty much nothing in common with anything else on this list, so keep that in mind. This track starts with a straight metal drum drop and turns into machine gun fire Moombahton. This track is an instant classic from Nadastrom and Munchi, two of the biggest names in the game. Best part? It’s part of a free EP from Scion AV. If you start grinding the floor, don’t say I didn’t warn you.

Nadastrom - Say My Name ft. Munchi and Jen Lasher

12. I don’t know what to do with this one either. Coer de Pirate’s candy sweet, heart breaking vocals, decorative piano, and filthy, desperate dirty lyrics. “Bring your love, baby I can bring my shame/ bring the drugs, baby I can bring my pain/ I got my heart right here/I got my scars right here/ bring the cups, baby I can bring the drink/ bring your body baby, I can bring you fame/ That’s my mother fucking word too/just let me mother fucking love you.”

Coer de Pirate - Wicked Games (The Weeknd Cover)


xxx

until next time


RIA

No comments:

Post a Comment